Re: [ontolog-forum] Big URI

To: "Conklin, Don" <don.conklin@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:18:56 -0500
>Having lived in Texas for some years, I didn't see the multiple version
>of "y'all" used. "Y-all" was applied to individuals and/or groups
>indiscriminately.    (01)

Yes. In fact, close observation suggests that
what it actually means is something like "as many
of you as wish to hear this", i.e. it is flexible
between "you", "all of you", and "any of you".
One includes oneself in the set of addressees by
responding to the sentence in which the y'all
occurs. This makes it a very polite and friendly
form of address, since it can be ignored without
giving offense, and the decision about whether
one is being addressed falls to the listener
rather than the speaker. Kind of a pull
technology for human conversation.    (02)

Pat    (03)

>As a native New Yorker, I thought "youse" was a similarly used term
>applicable to individuals or groups.
>
>Don Conklin
>Lockheed Martin

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (05)