Re: [ontolog-forum] Big URI

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 11:07:16 -0500
On Apr 15, 2007, at 10:51 PM, Ken Laskey wrote:
> The bad news is the length of the URL.  The good news, of course,
> is that you sent me unambiguous directions from an address in
> College Station, TX to Sleepy Hollow, TX.  Everyone on this mailing
> list has the exact same directions.  Sometime in the future,
> someone perusing this list's archive will still find the
> directions.  And though the addresses are only 6 miles apart, if
> they were 600 miles apart and a new road was put in, this URL would
> still give me directions from College Station, TX to Sleepy Hollow,
> TX even if the details were different.    (01)

Of course, point taken!  Frankly, who cares about length?  We can
always use tinyurl.com or the like (which shortens the 1100+ char
behemoth in question to http://tinyurl.com/3dwu6o) for creating
simple aliases.  The intended point of the example was in fact to
illustrate just how flexible and "generous" (as Pat put it) the URI
mechanism is.    (02)

More importantly, though, Sleepy Hollow is in New York -- STEEP
Hollow is in Texas!  It's a lovely little place this time of year,
with our warm, sunny skies and all the wildflowers in bloom -- just
don't blink as you travel down TX Farm-to-Market 1179 or y'all'll
miss the kolache bakery that constitutes downtown! :-)    (03)

-chris    (04)

ps: "y'all'll" is an authentic Texas double contraction, y'all!  My
favorite is the 2nd-person plural possessive "y'all's", as in "Do
y'all want lemon in y'all's ice tea?"  The only other English 2nd-
person plurals I know of are "youse" and "you-uns" (and their
variants like "yiz" and "yins"), but I'm not sure if either
accommodates the possessive -- can any New England or Appalachian
natives speak authoritatively here?    (05)