Re: [ontolog-forum] OWL and lack of identifiers

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:13:39 -0700
Matthew wrote:

Have 2 identifiers for each "record". The first for what the record represents, the second for the record itself. You use the identifier for the object of interest.”

This is similar to a misunderstood concept in C.  A variable object is a named region of storage (a value read from the physical media upon which it exists) while a (pointer || reference || identifier) is an _expression_ referring to an object.  Logically, the reference or pointer to an object should not exist should the object also not exist but this is not the case.  “Null pointer” exceptions are quite common in early C lessons.

I think I read somewhere that there was a project for the ISO standard that actually developed a reference data system or something similar that worked with RDL.

Duane