Re: [ontolog-forum] OWL and lack of identifiers

To: "Ed Dodds" <dodds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 21:16:19 -0500
>Would it make sense to combine a URI with value pairs from other
>registries ( in my head I'm thinking UDEF tags or GPS repositories )?    (01)

Well, the URI syntax is very generous, and allows
tricks like including other notations inside the
URI. Take a look at how Google encodes a query as
a URI, for example.    (02)

ttp://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&q=%22Ecole+d%27Administration+de+Vincennes%22+1882&btnG=Google+Search    (03)

That whole thing is a single URI. Some URIs can get as long as a paragraph.    (04)

Pat    (05)

>Ed "Too ignorant to know if this is a stupid question so please go
>easy on me" Dodds
>
>>  These characteristics imply that the URIs of the WWW are
>>  important for certain kinds of resources, but they are just
>>  one scheme among many other "universal" schemes, such as
>>  social-security numbers, ISBNs, geographical coordinates,
>>  DUNS numbers, etc.
>>
>>  Any naming scheme must specify (1) the permissible string
>>  of bits for an the identifier, (2) the naming scheme that
>>  determines how those bits are resolved to some entity,
>>  and (3) the ontological assumptions for determining how
>>  to interpret anything that may be found by this process.
>>
>>  John Sowa

>--
>Ed Dodds
>Strategist, Systems Architect
>facilitating convergence
>dodds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
><Conmergence />
>http://www.conmergence.com

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (07)