Re: [ontolog-forum] OWL and lack of identifiers

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Durusau <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 07:39:58 -0400
John,    (01)

On a road trip with spotty email access but I did want to respond to one
of your points:    (02)

John F. Sowa wrote:    (03)

>This discussion raises some serious issues:
>
>  1. For physical objects, names are not unique because
>     two different objects can have the same name.
>
>  2. However, the laws of physics guarantee that no
>     two physical objects can fill the same physical
>     volume at the same time.  Therefore, space-time
>     coordinates can serve as unique identifiers.

Yes, but would you agree that there is no one universal space-time
coordinate system such that any physical object could have two or more
unique identifiers in different coordinate systems?    (04)

Thinking of the star charts used by the South Sea Islanders for
navigation over long sea journeys. While they 'identify' the same
physical objects as a modern star chart, they are hardly the same
coordinate system.    (05)

Hope you are at the start of a great week!    (06)

Patrick    (07)

Patrick Durusau
Patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx
Member, Text Encoding Initiative Board of Directors, 2003-2005    (09)

Topic Maps: Human, not artificial, intelligence at work!     (010)