Re: [ontolog-forum] OntologyBrowser

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mark Musen <musen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 07:40:58 -0800
On Feb 16, 2007, at 7:25 AM, chandu wrote:
> I want to know if it is possible to create a browser which can
> accept any already created and developed ontology and allow users
> to navigate through the hierarchy levels. Or is it that browser is
> dependent on ontology?
>    (01)

Chandu,    (02)

If an ontology repository is to do more than allow navigation through
a text file, it has to be able to parse whatever people upload to
it.  Therefore, no browser can accept ontologies in completely
arbitrary knowledge-representation systems.    (03)

As Chris Chute notes, you might take a look at BioPortal (http://
www.bioontology.org/ncbo/faces/index.xhtml), a browser that we are
creating for the National Center for Biomedical Ontology.  BioPortal
is built on top of LexGrid and currently allows Web-based access to
several dozen ontologies.  Although the system currently serves as an
archive for biomedical ontologies, the code itself is completely
generic.  BioPortal is not shrink wrapped yet, but that is a medium-
term goal.    (04)

Mark    (05)