Re: language vs. ontology was Re: [ontolog-forum] April 20 session on

To: Adam Pease <apease@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Durusau <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 07:53:30 -0400
Adam,    (01)

I am not sure why we seem to keep missing each other.    (02)

Adam Pease wrote:    (03)

> Patrick,
>   It's true that even a formal ontology is created by humans, and that
> the logic may not fully capture the intended meaning of the human.
> It's also true that the results of any automated computation must be
> interpreted somehow.  The lack of sufficiency of a technique under all
> possible uses is not an argument against its necessity however.
>   Such an argument therefore does not negate the benefits of being
> able to do automated computation.  A reasonable analogy might be to
> arithmetic, where although people must interpret the results with
> respect to the real world, and people can do arithmetic by hand, there
> is still great benefit in having a machine do as much automated
> computation as possible.  Such computation would not be possible
> without mathematical and computable definitions for the mathematical
> terms and symbols.    (04)

I have not argued against the benefits of or the need for automated
computation.    (05)

>   The main point is that without a mathematical definition for the
> symbols, as is the case in a terminological ontology, one can't do (or
> more broadly, can't do the same number or degree of) automated
> computation.    (06)

Sigh, but you just conceded above that that meaning of the symbols is
*not* defined by mathematics. True, after defining the symbols by humans
it is possible to define mathematical relationships between the symbols.
But mathematics has done none of the defining. It is a formal expression
of the definitions provided by humans for the symbols and the
relationships between them.    (07)

And yes, doing that permits automated computation.    (08)

My question, which I don't think you have answered, is why the world
bank can't define its own symbols and relationships between them?    (09)

>   The fact that an approach under some broad moniker has failed in the
> past doesn't have much bearing on our present case I think.

And why not? How is the present case different from prior attempts?    (010)

Hope you are having a great day!    (011)

Patrick    (012)

> [...]
>>> intelligible labels were present.  The meaning of the symbols is
>>> defined mathematically, and no human interpretation is required to
>>> give them meaning.
>>

>> Yes, there is a misunderstanding here.
>>
>> defining a mathematical logic between arbitrary unique symbols !=
>> defining the meaning of arbitrary unique symbols
>>
>> Yes, whatever symbols are substituted, the outcomes of defined
>> operations would be the same.
>>
>> That is not the same as defining the "meaning" of a symbol
>> mathematically.
>>
>> The "meaning" of a symbol is always determined with recourse to human
>> interpretation. How else would you explain the use of WordNet
>> references in SUMO? Of what possible relevance are WordNet entries if
>> the meaning of symbols is being defined mathematically? The answer is
>> that the "meaning" of the symbols is being defined by making
>> references to something outside of the mathematical definition of
>> relationships between the symbols.
>>

>>>   That's relevant because it enables one to do things like prove the
>>> absence of contradictions in the use of these terms with an
>>> automated system.  In contrast, without such a property, humans have
>>> to determine whether usage of terminological or linguistic based
>>> standards are compliant.  Standards compliance is something I would
>>> think would be relevant to the world bank.
>>
>> Not to put too fine a point on it but you seem to be eliding over the
>> fact that the development of SUMO was based upon human interpretation
>> and construction of the rules that can then be automatically applied.
>> It wasn't simply a matter of putting mathematical rules in a box of
>> symbols and shaking it until the result suddenly appeared.
>>
>> The compliance the world bank (or any other concern) is interested in
>> is compliance with their terms, which may or may not use the same
>> rules for complaince that can be found in SUMO. Yes, logic can prove
>> a lack of contradiction but then so can careful definition of terms
>> and what is or is not considered to be a conflict.
>>
>> Note that I do consider SUMO and similar efforts to be worthwhile.
>> But, I don't think that they divorce the meaning of symbols from
>> human interpretation nor are they the best solutions for all cases.
>> As I noted earlier today, we have been down the road of universal
>> languages before and none has succeeded to date.
>>
>> Hope you are having a great day!
>>
>> Patrick
>>
>>> Adam

>>> ----------------------------
>>> Adam Pease
>>> http://www.ontologyportal.org - Free ontologies and tools
>>>

>> --
>> Patrick Durusau
>> Patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx
>> Chair, V1 - Text Processing: Office and Publishing Systems Interface
>> Co-Editor, ISO 13250, Topic Maps -- Reference Model
>> Member, Text Encoding Initiative Board of Directors, 2003-2005
>>
>> Topic Maps: Human, not artificial, intelligence at work!

Member, Text Encoding Initiative Board of Directors, 2003-2005    (014)

Topic Maps: Human, not artificial, intelligence at work!     (015)