Re: language vs. ontology was Re: [ontolog-forum] April 20 session on

To: Adam Pease <apease@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Durusau <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 20:29:01 -0400
Adam,    (01)

Adam Pease wrote:    (02)

> Patrick,
>
>> Sigh, but you just conceded above that that meaning of the symbols is
>> *not* defined by mathematics.
>

> No, I don't think I said that.  As Pat Cassidy pointed out, there is a
> philosophical issue that is known in AI as the "symbol grounding"
> problem, but the meaning of the terms in a formal ontology is defined
> solely by the mathematics.

OK, what you said that I took to mean that was:    (03)

> It's true that even a formal ontology is created by humans, and that
> the logic may not fully capture the intended meaning of the human.
> It's also true that the results of any automated computation must be
> interpreted somehow.  The lack of sufficiency of a technique under all
> possible uses is not an argument against its necessity however. (Adam
> Pease, second post on 4/8/2006)    (04)

Moreover, recall my mentioning SUMO making reference to WordNet? If a
formal ontology is "defined solely by the mathematics" then aren't the
WordNet references gratuitous?    (05)

But those references aren't gratuitous are they? They are there in order
to solve the "symbol grounding" problem. Yes? That is to say some human
author wrote the formal ontology and *expressed* their definitions using
mathematics or choose terms from a formal ontology. Either act "grounds"
the symbols outside of the formal ontology.    (06)

Recall that in your first post on 4/8 you said:    (07)

> In a formal ontology like SUMO, or DOLCE, one could replace all the
> term names with arbitrary unique symbols, and an automated deductive
> system, following the rules of mathematical logic (in our case, first
> order logic) could reach all the same conclusions as it could if those
> intelligible labels were present.  The meaning of the symbols is
> defined mathematically, and no human interpretation is required to
> give them meaning.     (08)

Human interpretation was involved in the formulation of the symbols and
if using an ontology written by others, in choosing the symbols to be used.    (09)

I agree that precisely defining "meanings" using mathematics is a very
good thing.  What I find objectionable is the notion that meanings
defined mathematically are somehow grounded other than by the acts of
their authors or those who choose to use them.    (010)

As you note in the passage I just quoted, a formal system doesn't care
whether the symbols are meaningful or not. It has no way to determine if
they are grounded or not. It is simply following the instructions of
those capable of grounding the symbols. Which is a very useful thing. I
have no quarrel with representation of knowledge or the benefits of its
being represented.    (011)

>> True, after defining the symbols by humans it is possible to define
>> mathematical relationships between the symbols. But mathematics has
>> done none of the defining. It is a formal expression of the
>> definitions provided by humans for the symbols and the relationships
>> between them.
>>
>> And yes, doing that permits automated computation.
>>
>> My question, which I don't think you have answered, is why the world
>> bank can't define its own symbols and relationships between them?
>

> Indeed it can and should.  The main question is what that "definition"
> should consist of.  If one creates only natural language definitions,
> as in a dictionary, or simple links as one might find in a thesaurus,
> then one has simply a dictionary or thesaurus, suitable for
> interpretation by humans.  I advocate definitions of the terms in
> mathematical logic, in as expressive a logic as possible.  I believe
> the World Bank, and any other large IT organization for that matter,
> should create formal ontologies, reusing one of the existing large
> formal ontologies as much as possible.
>
>>>   The fact that an approach under some broad moniker has failed in
>>> the past doesn't have much bearing on our present case I think.
>>
>> And why not? How is the present case different from prior attempts?
>

> I'm not sure what you mean by "universal language".  I certainly
> haven't used that phrase to describe any of the extant formal upper
> ontologies.  That's a very broad and underspecified phrase.  You might
> mean something like Esperanto, which is certainly different from what
> we're discussing.  You might also be referring to Bishop Wilkin's 17th
> century treatise, or it's description in Umberto Eco's book on "The
> search for the perfect language", which, as much as I admire the work,
> has little to do with a formal ontology, and in fact is more closely
> related to taxonomy building and a good example of why that's
> problematic.  Did you mean something different?

Loglang would be a more recent example.    (012)

And no, you have not used the term "universal language."    (013)

I use the term "universal language" to mean a language, such as an
ontology, which users are exhorted to use with its meanings, in
preference to meanings they might choose to assign, in order to gain the
benefits of automated processing. Granted if everyone agreed on a set of
terms and their meanings, automated processing would be much easier to
implement. However, given the varities of cultures and languages in the
world, I don't think a universal language is possible.    (014)

> As a more general point, even the failure of a particular idea doesn't
> mean it can't be very successful in a more modern world, with
> different supporting technologies.  Statistical-based natural language
> is not necessarily a new idea, but associated facilities like large
> corpora, large disk storage and fast processors make it a practical
> reality.  There's been some discussion of MRI technology in the news
> along these lines in the past few months.  However, we're very far
> afield of the point once we're discussing philosophy of science, so
> I'll try to refrain from further discussion on this subtopic.

My concern on what may be a subtopic is that even assuming that great
progress on tools for statistical-based natural language processing,
that does not mean that any particular upper ontology has captured the
meaning given to a term by a particular speaker. In other words, I find
the notion that a speaker must give up their meaning in order to conform
to a standard ontology repugnant.    (015)

Hope you are at the start of a great week!    (016)

Patrick    (017)

> Adam
>
>> Hope you are having a great day!
>>
>> Patrick
>>
>>> Adam

>>> ----------------------------
>>> Adam Pease
>>> http://www.ontologyportal.org - Free ontologies and tools
>>>

>> --
>> Patrick Durusau
>> Patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx
>> Chair, V1 - Text Processing: Office and Publishing Systems Interface
>> Co-Editor, ISO 13250, Topic Maps -- Reference Model
>> Member, Text Encoding Initiative Board of Directors, 2003-2005
>>
>> Topic Maps: Human, not artificial, intelligence at work!

> Adam Pease
> http://www.ontologyportal.org - Free ontologies and tools

Patrick Durusau
Patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx
Member, Text Encoding Initiative Board of Directors, 2003-2005    (019)

Topic Maps: Human, not artificial, intelligence at work!     (020)