Re: [ontolog-forum] April 20 session on tagging ontolog content

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: dbedford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:58:23 -0400
All,    (01)

This is exactly a point I will illustrate in the approach to building an
ontology next week.   The context is critical.  You will never solve the
semantic problems unless you can contextualize.  And, we will forever argue
about words and ideas and concepts - and never make any substantial progress.
This is why you cannot really tackle the semantic problems from the top down -
it will never work except at such a primitive level that the results are
meaningless.    (02)

Entity here is being used in the context of a reference model.   It is a
representation or data structure which includes attributes and can be decomposed
into elements.   If I were to use the concept entity as a descriptor within an
attribute that context would give it a different meaning.    (03)

We must expect multiple meanings, and not assume that without contextualization
there can be any resolution.   This is simply the way the human brain works -
and it is the way that an ontology needs to work, too.    (04)

Best regards,
Denise