Re: [ontolog-forum] April 20 session on tagging ontolog content

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bill Andersen <andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 17:39:34 -0400
Folks,    (01)

Hate to jump in the middle of a conversation, but this one caught my eye.    (02)

dbedford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:    (03)

> There is no one
> final set of attributes for an entity that serves for all time, there is no
>one
> set of entities that serves for all time.      (04)

I find this statement fantastic - it seems to be either an extremely
bold metaphysical claim or a trivial comment on the nature of language
use.  If the former, it deserves substantiation.  If the latter, it
should be noted to be a linguistic and not a metaphysical claim.    (05)

> Beyond this, the semantics need to be
> addressed at the attribute level or at the entity element level.    (06)

Which is being discussed here?  Semantics (having to do with language),
entities (having supposedly to do with the world) or both?    (07)

        .bill    (08)

Bill Andersen
Chief Scientist
Ontology Works, Inc. (http://www.ontologyworks.com)