Re: language vs. ontology was Re: [ontolog-forum] April 20 session on t

To: "Cassidy, Patrick J." <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Durusau <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 08:21:48 -0400
Pat,    (01)

Cassidy, Patrick J. wrote:    (02)

>Re: meaning of symbols -
>
>Patrick Durusau wrote:
>

>>>The "meaning" of a symbol is always determined with recourse to
>>>

>human
>interpretation.
>
>Not exactly.  The issue of how to "ground" the meanings of symbols is a
>lot more complex than just saying that a person is going to read it
>before any meaning is assigned.  If that were the case, no system could
>ever hope to perform automatic processing, even for something as
>trivial as sending a late-payment notice, without human intervention.
>For automatic processing that has real-world effects, the system is
>"told" the meaning by associating actions with specific states (an "if
>state, then action" rule).  In the case where the ontology has only
>state descriptions, the action rules are typically part of the
>procedural code that uses the ontology, but they could also be part of
>an executable specification.

Let's be clear about the issue to which I was responding.    (03)

Adam had made the claim that:    (04)

> The meaning of the symbols is defined mathematically, and no human
> interpretation is required to give them meaning.     (05)

My only point was that in the formulation of a system that human beings
were assigning meaning to the symbols.    (06)

In other words, it is *not* the case that expressing a definition and
the rules for use of that definition in relation to other definitions
using mathematics removes human interpretation from the process. It
starts, always I would argue, with human definition of the symbols. (And
for that matter continues with human interpretation in the choice of
precisely defined terms as well as interpretation of the output.)    (07)

Let me be clear: Automated processing is essential to management of
information flow. And yes, it rests upon mathematically expressed (not
defined) definitions supplied by people and rules for processing those
definitions.    (08)

But let's not be distracted by the automated use of those symbols.    (09)

What I see as at issue is whether the world bank, or others, must be
subjugated to a universal language, such a SUMO, or should have the
freedom to represent their own languages and rules for automated
processing.    (010)

Adam indicated yesterday that:    (011)

> The fact that an approach under some broad moniker has failed in the
> past doesn't have much bearing on our present case I think.    (012)

I just got around to responding this morning and I am curious to learn
why the failure of prior attempts at creating a universal language has
no bearing on current attempts.    (013)

The point I was attempting to make about universal languages is that
they define (through their human authors) symbols in ways that may or
may not correspond to the views of the same symbols by others. There is,
in my opinion, no reason to priviledge the definitions by the SUMO
authors over those of any others.    (014)

Granted those definitions can be used to build an automated system.    (015)

But then an automated system can be built upon any sufficiently defined
set of symbols and rules for using them together.    (016)

The issue is not whether an automated system can be built, or whether
mathematics should be use in expressing the definitions, but whether
some particular group can claim to have captured all that is worth being
said and that all other expressions are *implicitly disenfranchised*.    (017)

It is the implied claim that "that's the way it is"* that I find deeply
disturbing about universal language proposals. Perhaps, perhaps not. At
best such proposals represent "one" way to view and organize information
about the world. At worse they impose a view on information that may or
may not (in the view of the users of that information) correspond to
their view of information about the world.    (018)

*For our younger participants, "that's the way it is (insert date)" was
the closing line used by Walter Cronkite on the CBS News while he was
the network anchor.    (019)

Hope you are having a great day!    (020)

Patrick    (021)

> [...]
>including semantic and pragmatic, not just syntactic rules.  If the
>system is able to understand and respond to language with the facility
>of a human, it can be fairly said to have understood the meaning of the
>sentences it responds to properly.  No current system can do that at
>even the level of a six-year-old, but there are systems that do some
>interpretation to a certain extent, and they can be fairly said to have
>understood some part of the meaning.  Meaning isn't usually an
>all-or-nothing measure, but graded.  An expert can usually understand
>more of the meaning of a technical description than a novice can.
>
>There are various ways to "ground" the meaning of symbols.  One is for
>a symbol-processing system to be able to recognize instances of classes
>in the ontology.  At a simple level, a computer reading a file on a
>disk and tokenizing the sentences and recognizing the legal "words" in
>the file has grasped part of the meaning of that file, a real-life
>physical object.   For a computer to do all the kinds of things
>college-educated people do, a lot more of the meaning has to be
>recognized, but getting to that point is part of our current task, no?
>
>Those working in robotics have to be very careful to assign the proper
>"meaning" to the symbols their programs use, or the robot fails to do
>its task, in a very visible manner.  Recognizing things in the real
>world and responding appropriately is to me very clear evidence that
>some elements of "meaning" of the input signals have been properly
>interpreted - without a person intervening at any point from receipt of
>the "symbol" (sensor inputs) to response.
>
>Perhaps you want to argue that any elements of "meaning" that a
>computer may seem to understand must first be put there by people.  Of
>course, machines are artifacts created by people.  (Yawn)  People are
>objects created by evolution.  The fact that it took millions of years
>for humans to develop a way to learn how to assign meaning to their
>linguistic inputs, and takes years for individuals to learn how to
>assign meanings to linguistic inputs, but only seconds or minutes to
>upload a complex cognitive system into a computer, is certainly of
>great significance.  But whether or not a cognitive system can properly
>assign "meaning" to inputs must be judged by whether the system
>responds appropriately to the inputs, according to whatever goal or
>motivational schema that cognitive system is using.  The adequacy of
>the response is a different issue from how the system learned to make
>that response.
>
>I think it is quite appropriate to say that some existing
>knowledge-based programs can assign some elements of meaning to the
>inputs (symbols) they get, and respond appropriately, without any human
>interpretation of the input.  In most cases, it is nowhere near as much
>meaning as people can currently assign, but "meaning" nevertheless.

Patrick Durusau
Patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx
Member, Text Encoding Initiative Board of Directors, 2003-2005    (023)

Topic Maps: Human, not artificial, intelligence at work!     (024)