[ontolog-forum] Ontologizing the Ontolog Body of Knowledge

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 18:31:57 -0700
*ANNOUNCEMENT*    (01)

Those who have been watching the Ontolog Forum closely
(especially those who were at the last few member conference
calls) are already aware that we have a series of very exciting
events coming up that revolves around the theme of "Ontologizing
the Ontolog Body of Knowledge". I am happy to provide what's
being planned so far (with the understanding that the program is
community-driven and is still evolving), so that you can mark
your calendars if you find these events to be relevant or
interesting.    (02)

*PURPOSE*    (03)

This series of events that is spurred by the Ontolog Community's
quest towards (a) providing better access to the body of
knowledge that the community has accumulated over the years,
(b) using the opportunity to explore the landscape and the
state-of-the-art for both technologies and approaches, on how
this could actually be done, (c) employing the kinds of formal
and informal semantic technologies and ontological engineering
approaches that we've been 'talking about', (d) plan to develop
an ontology-based application to achieve the purpose, both as a
proof-of-concept, and also to provide open example of a 'working
application' and 'the process' that people can look at, and (e)
build up enough interest and momentum to really *do it* --
funded, if at all possible, but on an open/voluntary-basis, if we
have to.    (04)

*PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS* (items planned for the next few weeks)    (05)

This series of events include invited speaker sessions, community
  discussion sessions. The series will commence with Dr. Denise
Bedford's presentation this coming Thursday, and will culminate
in a face-to-face workshop that the community is planning to have
in Northern California, USA (at Stanford, CA; as a part of the
9th International Protégé Conference.)    (06)

Here are some of the events that we have already locked-in:    (07)

Thursday, Apr. 13, 2006 - Invited Speaker: Denise Bedford
10:30am~12:30pm PDT / 1:30~3:30pm EDT / 17:30~19:30 UTC    (08)

   *Denise Bedford* from the World Bank will be our invited
speaker. She will be sharing with us her experience from her work
in integrating the vast, multilingual data and information
resources. She will kick-off the series by proposing one strategy
on how we can approach this task of "ontologizing ontolog."    (09)

Thursday, Apr. 20, 2006
Discussion Session-1: Framing the Issues, Design and Approach
Moderator: Denise Bedford
10:30am~12:30pm PDT / 1:30~3:30pm EDT / 17:30~19:30 UTC    (010)

   This will be a discussion session involving a panel and the
community members. Panelists include Nicolas Rouquette
(NASA/JPL), Michael Maximilien (IBM), Lisa Colvin (Genentech),
Patrick Heinig (EPA), Bob Smith (Cal State U/Tall Tree Labs) and
Peter Yim (Ontolog/CIM3). We will be asking ourselves, "what do
we want to get done in this exercise?" and to draw up our
requirements, before looking at "how it could be done", and "what
are the technology and tools available" to help us get the job done.    (011)

Thursday, Apr. 27, 2006
Invited Speakers: Jack Park and Patrick Durusau
10:30am~12:30pm PDT / 1:30~3:30pm EDT / 17:30~19:30 UTC    (012)

   *Jack Park* (SRI) and *Patrick Durusau* (Chair, INCITS
Technical Committee V1) will be talking about the federation of
ontologies through subject maps under the rubric "Cultural
Federation." Both Jack and Patrick have a background in XTM (xml)
topic maps. Subject Maps are created from the new specification
called the TMRM -- topic maps reference model, which are,
internally and spiritually, completely different. We should look
forward to productive discussion along the lines of differences
between ontologies and subject maps in this presentation session.    (013)

Thursday, May 4, 2006 - Invited Speaker: Adam Cheyer
10:30am~12:30pm PDT / 1:30~3:30pm EDT / 17:30~19:30 UTC    (014)

   *Adam Cheyer* of SRI, and a Program Director of the CALO
Project, will give us an overview of CALO as an example of a very
large ontology-based application. Adam will discuss the
engineering methods we use to develop and maintain the ontology
of CALO and demonstrate IRIS, an open-source semantic desktop,
that serves as the "office environment" that integrates best with
CALO. CALO stands for "Cognitive Assistant that Learns and
Organizes" and is a DARPA project that brings together leading
computer scientists and researchers in artificial intelligence,
machine learning, natural language processing, knowledge
representation, human-computer interaction, flexible planning,
and behavioral studies from 22 organizations.    (015)

Thursday, May 11, 2006 - Invited Speaker: David Ferrucci
10:30am~12:30pm PDT / 1:30~3:30pm EDT / 17:30~19:30 UTC    (016)

   *David Ferrucci* from IBM Research is the chief architect for
UIMA (Unstructured Information Management Architecture) . This
project provides the architectural and software foundation for
accelerating and integrating a broad collection of efforts in
IBM’s Research labs and several large government-sponsored
projects. David's talk is entitled: "Putting the Semantics in the
Semantic Web: An overview of UIMA and its role in Accelerating
the Semantic Revolution"    (017)

Additionally, we will be scheduling discussion session(s) to
further explore the both the informal ontology and the formal
ontology approaches and the technology landscape. After that, we
will be sitting down to discuss "what can/will we do for
Ontolog." Finally, at the face-to-face workshop, which has now
been titled: "Natural, Semi-formal and Formal Ontologies:
Bridging the Layers, Limits and Lacunas" we will, among other
things, synthesize and distill what we learned from all these
activities.    (018)

We will be announcing the individual events and provide more
detail as they become available. However, do mark your calendars
now, so that you won't miss the events.    (019)

Regards.  =ppy    (020)

for and on behalf of the
Ontolog co-conveners and
co-organizers of this series of events