Re: [ontolog-forum] Proposal for UBL Ontology Project

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Jon.Bosak@xxxxxxx
From: MDaconta@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 11:43:18 EST
In a message dated 3/3/2003 12:17:38 AM US Mountain Standard Time, conrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

It is my hope that this project will prove to be more engaging than a
general discussion has been and will encourage more participants to
weigh in with their potentially divergent ideas about ontological
engineering.

Your thoughts?

While I agree that virtual projects are difficult.  I think this is a good idea
and am willing to participate.  There is no better way to learn about and
refine our ontology building skills than to take on a non-trivial project.

As for goals, I would recommend the crafting of an ontology suitable
for adoption by the UBL committee.  The presumption being that acceptance
equates to accurate modeling of the domain.  As for utility of such an
ontology, I need to study the UBL library before proposing some
options.  I would hope to see us develop some concrete goals for
the utility of the ontology beyond the development of an accurate model.

I look forward to working on this,

- Mike
Michael C. Daconta
Chief Scientist, APG, McDonald Bradley, Inc.
www.daconta.net