Re: [ontolog-forum] Proposal for UBL Ontology Project

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: MDaconta@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 12:06:35 EST
In a message dated 3/3/2003 10:58:11 AM US Mountain Standard Time, farrukh.najmi@xxxxxxx writes:

A good way to do a virtual project is to do an open source project.

Fully agree this is the way to go.

I would like to propose that the proposed UBL ontologies be managed
using ebXML Registry as an Ontology Server. There are many interesting
features that an ebXML Registry has to offer as an ontology server. A
partial list includes:

This is interesting as I have not thought of the ebXML registry as
an Ontology server.  For example, I do not believe the RIM supports
the formal notion of 'subclassOf" which would be critical.  While I
believe we could use a custom association with this label, that is
weaker than the notion of subclass being built into the RIM.  For example,
a formal notion of subclass would allow the child information object to
automatically inherit the attributes of the parent.  Please correct me
if I am misunderstanding the RIM or its implications.

Additionally, I would recommend the Ontology classes be associated
with a terminology registry for each concept (in essence equating a
class with a concept).  Following step 3, in the protege Ontology 101
document, we need to enumerate important terms in the Ontology.
I am proposing a step beyond enumeration to formal definition with
concept, terms and referents.  Is the ebXML registry suitable for a terminology
registry? Or do people know of others?

- Mike
Michael C. Daconta
Chief Scientist, Advanced Programs Group
McDonald Bradley, Inc.
www.daconta.net