Re: [ontolog-forum] Proposal for UBL Ontology Project

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jon Bosak <Jon.Bosak@xxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Cassidy <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 12:59:54 -0500
I agree that developing a non-trivial public ontology with
a view to a particular application would be a valuable
contribution to the discussions of how to build useful ontologies  --
BUT I have one very strong caveat:  I think that there
needs to be developed at the same time a real-life public-
domain APPLICATION that uses the ontology in a non-trivial
way to illustrate the reasoning capacity that the ontology
is intended to provide.  Without the "reality check" of
a functioning application (which should run on multiple
platforms, and not need any LISP license) I would fear
that any such project would get seriously bogged down in
endless controversy based on varying preferences,
ontological theories, intuitions, extrapolations from
other experience, and educated guesses as to how such an
ontology might function in actual practice.  In addition,
before starting, there should be agreement on a firm set
of rules as to how controversies are to be decided, and
preferably a set of deadlines as to when particular
phases of the effort should be completed.
     With those safety features in place, I would
enthusiastically participate in such a project [and
grudgingly with a sour face participate without them ;-)].    (01)

     If anyone already has a freely available application
that could be adapted to using such an ontology, I hope that
we can all get a copy.  Otherwise, are there any programmers
with experience in building ontology-driven applications who
could help build one for this  project?  My own programming
skills are minimal, and I would be able to contribute
mostly to upper ontology structure.    (02)

     Pat    (03)

Patrick Cassidy    (04)

MICRA, Inc.                      || (908) 561-3416
735 Belvidere Ave.               || (908) 668-5252 (if no answer)
Plainfield, NJ 07062-2054        || (908) 668-5904 (fax)    (05)

internet:   cassidy@xxxxxxxxx

Msg Archives: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/    (08)