RE: [uos-convene] UOS co-sponsorship - NEED ANSWER

To: "Upper Ontology Summit convention" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 17:26:15 -0500
The rationale for the current wording, from the perspective of the
organizers:    (01)

"'Co-sponsors' are organizations who are providing technical or
funding support, and/or endorsing the purpose of this Upper Ontology
Summit."     (02)

is that some organizations may be providing directly neither technical
nor funding support, but which still endorse the purpose of this Upper
Ontology Summit. NCOR, possibly, for example. The W3C, perhaps, none of
whose members may physically show up. There may be others. The actual
wording we agreed on was to eliminate the unnecessary "and/or", since
"or" is not exclusive:    (03)

"'Co-sponsors' are organizations who are providing technical or
funding support, or endorsing the purpose of this Upper Ontology
Summit."     (04)

I would rephrase this more clearly as:
"'Co-sponsors' are organizations who are providing technical or
funding support or who endorse the purpose of this Upper Ontology
Summit."     (05)

I think this lets everyone on or off the hook, no?    (06)

Thanks,
Leo    (07)

Dr. Leo Obrst       The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
lobrst@xxxxxxxxx    Center for Innovative Computing & Informatics
Voice: 703-983-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
Fax: 703-983-1379   McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA     (08)