Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: "'uom-ontology-std'" <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Partridge <partridgec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 18:47:19 +0100
John,    (01)

Glad you liked Hasok's work, I do too. I'd recommend his book as well - I
thoroughly enjoyed it. I particularly liked the idea that water only boils
at 100 degrees because it has dust and oxygen added to it. This also helps
to illustrate the point that these types of relation are subject to ceteris
paribus conditions.    (02)

I agree that there needs to be a decision on scope. However, I would expect
it to consider trade-offs. The indirect apparently UoM type quantities are
something that engineers use a lot and could do with some clarification. In
other words, this would have significant value. Whether another UoM standard
would have the same value - or illustrate as well the value an ontological
analysis can bring - is doubtful. Also, if it is decided these are excluded,
this needs to be make clear - and not fudged.    (03)

Regards,
Chris Partridge
Chief Ontologist    (04)

Mobile:     +44 790 5167263
Phone:      +44 20 81331891
Fax:            +44 20 7855 0268
E-Mail:       partridgec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx     (05)

BORO Centre Limited
Website:                                     www.BOROCentre.com
Registered in England No:   04418581
Registered Office:                  25 Hart Street, Henley on Thames,
Oxfordshire RG9 2AR    (06)

This email message is intended for the named recipient(s) only. It may be
privileged and/or confidential. If you are not an intended named recipient
of this email then you should not copy it or use it for any purpose, nor
disclose its contents to any other person. You should contact BORO Centre
Limited as shown above so that we can take appropriate action at no cost to
yourself. All BORO Centre Limited outgoing E-mails are checked using Anti
Virus software.    (07)