Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: "'uom-ontology-std'" <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Partridge <partridgec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 22:36:23 +0100
Ingvar,    (01)

Matthew and David can give you the official ISO 15926 line.    (02)

I will try and give you my understanding (from the coal face).     (03)

In my experience with working engineers, especially when they design
artefacts, they need to specify the characteristics of the equipment (and
its components) they are building.
Often, they want to specify the characteristics in a way that does not
presuppose a particular brand as a solution.
So their design data sheets are full of 'properties' that appear to be the
same as the SI units - the example given here is temperature. (Look at the
specification for your washing machine or microwave for a simple household
example.)    (04)

However, on closer examination many of the properties turn out to be
dispositional (as in my example) - not suprising if one is designing
something.    (05)

When the engineers work with these dispositional quantities, they tend to
need to work with them in a different way from the manifested quantities -
as they behave differently. (In much the same way as one would not treat the
properties soluble and dissolved in the same way - but see they are
related.)     (06)

As I said to Pat, one can exclude trying to get to the bottom of these from
the scope, but then this excludes a large chunk of what would be of interest
to many engineers - and an area that needs some light shed on it. I am not
sure yet another UoM standard for SI units etc. is going to change the way
engineers work. Whereas sorting out indirect properties would. But this is
the usual trade-off between how easy something is and the value it can
deliver.    (07)

These dispositional properties also occur (as you know) in science. A
temperature example is the boiling point of water - where (as the history of
temperature illustrates) there are the usual ceteris paribus concerns. (BTW
are you familiar with Hasok Chang's work http://www.ucl.ac.uk/sts/chang/ -
it was a surprise to me that it is only 100 degrees until special
conditions)    (08)

So bottom line, broadly speaking: direct = manifestation, indirect =
dispositional.    (09)

Regards,
Chris Partridge
Chief Ontologist    (010)

Mobile:     +44 790 5167263
Phone:      +44 20 81331891
Fax:            +44 20 7855 0268
E-Mail:       partridgec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx     (011)

BORO Centre Limited
Website:                                     www.BOROCentre.com
Registered in England No:   04418581
Registered Office:                  25 Hart Street, Henley on Thames,
Oxfordshire RG9 2AR    (012)

This email message is intended for the named recipient(s) only. It may be
privileged and/or confidential. If you are not an intended named recipient
of this email then you should not copy it or use it for any purpose, nor
disclose its contents to any other person. You should contact BORO Centre
Limited as shown above so that we can take appropriate action at no cost to
yourself. All BORO Centre Limited outgoing E-mails are checked using Anti
Virus software.    (013)