Re: [uom-ontology-std] "Indirect property"

To: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Leal <david.leal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 23:29:56 +0100
Dear Pat,    (01)

>> Hence we can say:
>>
>>  :T_101   iso6892-1:upperYieldStrength
>> [ a :UniaxialStress ; :expressedAs
>> [ number: "400" ; reference: :MPa ] ] .
>>

>I take it that this is RDF, and could be expressed using triples using
>a blank node, thus:
>
>:T_101  iso6892-1:upperYieldStrength _:x .
>_:x :expressedAs "400"^^:MPa .
>_:x rdf:type :UniaxialStress .    (02)

More or less. Joel's e-mail has just dealt with this.    (03)

>> This does not mean that T_101 is a member of the equivalence class
>> "400
>> MPa". Instead there is a precisely defined, but "indirect",
>> relationship
>> between T_101 and "400 MPa".
>
>There is indeed such a relationship ('property' in RDFspeak), but I
>see no reason to call it "indirect". In your formalization it has no
>name, but it could easily be given one. It is the functional
>composition of :expressedAs with iso6892-1:upperYieldStrength, in fact.    (04)

I have defined iso6892-1:upperYieldStrength as a mapping (property in
RDFspeak) with:
   domain: iso6892-1:TensileTest
   range: UniaxialStress    (05)

For each member of iso6892-1:TensileTest there is 0 or 1 member of
UniaxialStress that is the upperYieldStrength. The 0 occurs if the test
piece does not yield during the test.    (06)

There is a composition of the mappings iso6892-1:upperYieldStrength and
expressedAs, but I think that this is less useful for two reasons:    (07)

a) I may wish to say that iso6892-1:lowerYieldStrength(Test_101) = 0.95
times iso6892-1:lowerYieldStrength(Test_101). Operators such as times and
relationships such as > are more simply defined for a magnitude of stress
than for an expression of a magnitude of stress as a (number, reference) pair.    (08)

b) The composition of the mappings iso6892-1:upperYieldStrength and
expressedAs has a cardinality of 0 or many. This is because if the test
piece does yield, the magnitude of stress at which it does can be expressed
in many ways (by reference to psi, MPa, bar etc.).    (09)

>The implicit classification into direct vs. indirect properties is
>what I was questioning. Even if it is well-defined - which I currently
>doubt - nobody yet has indicated what use it is, or why anyone should
>bother even thinking about it when writing an ontology.    (010)

I agree that this is difficult to pin down, but there does seem to be
something there which is worth working on.    (011)

Take the example of a ship, for which there is a waterline length, beam,
draft, length overall, and air draft. It is certainly convenient to regard
each of these as a relationship between a ship and a length magnitude, that
is defined by:
a) a process of extracting a point pair from a ship;
b) classifying the point pair by length magnitude.     (012)

Alternatively we can regard a waterline length magnitude as an equivalence
class of ship. We can now cast about for a way of expressing a waterline
length magnitude. One way is as "10 knot Froude number". Hence we can have a
waterline length magnitude that is expressed as (0.3, 10 knot Froude number).     (013)

We now have two quite independent quantities:
- length with magnitude expressed with reference to the metre;
- waterline length with magnitude expressed with reference to the 10 knot
Froude number.    (014)

We have made no judgement as to which is the simple quantity and which is
the complicated one. However if we have a theory that says there is an
isomorphism between the set of waterline length equivalence classes for
ships and the set of length equivalent classes for point pairs, we seize
upon it with glee. We can now throw away one of our measurement approaches.
The decision to throw away "10 knot Froude number" as a measurement of
waterline length is quite arbitrary.    (015)

It is merely convenience that we have:    (016)

  :my_ship  :hasWaterlineLength  [ a :Length ; :expressedAs [ :number "30" ;
:reference "metre" ] ] .     (017)

rather than:    (018)

  :my_point_pair  :definesWaterlineLength  [ a :WaterlineLength ;
:expressedAs [ :number "0.3" ; :reference "10 knot Froude number" ] ] .    (019)

If the customary way of measuring the distance between two points were to:
a) build a ship that fits exactly between the points;
b) tow the ship at 10 knots;
c) observe the ratio of the wave length of the wake to the length of the ship,
then the second choice would be more convenient.    (020)

The division between the kinds of quantity defined in ISO 80000, and the
many thousands of "indirect properties" (mappings between a class of
physical object and a kind of quantity) used in different fields of
engineering, may be entirely arbitrary.    (021)

Good night,
David    (022)