Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: <edbark@xxxxxxxx>, "'uom-ontology-std'" <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:09:19 +0100
Dear Ed,    (01)

> Burkett, William [USA] wrote:
> >> Please, Chris, Matthew, or David, expalain what the ISO
> distinction
> >> between direct and indirect properties amounts to.
> >>

> > I think "indirect property" is a poor name for the thing called
> "maximum allowable operating temperature" (if I may go back to that
> original example.)  That thing is, IMO, a property of an abstract
> "engineering envelope" that is part of the design specification of
> another physical thing that has an actual measurable operating
> temperature.  So it is a temperature and it is a property - it's
> just not directly associated with the physical thing that has an
> operating temperature.
> >

> What is in a name?  The problem is to write a razor.  If a property
> has
> characteristic X, it is indirect.  And 15926 talks around it.  It
> is not
> clear that a "direct" property is required to be "intrinsic" -- a
> property that doesn't vary with position or use or history (but
> that
> gets into temporal issues).  And it is not clear that "indirect"
> properties are required to be "accidental" -- related to the
> appearance
> of the thing in a role or situation.
>
> These "indirect properties" are commonly modeled as "attributes" of
> things.  Some of them are clearly accidental properties that are
> assigned to a usage of the thing.  The problem is that a property
> like
> "maximum operating temperature" may be viewed as "intrinsic" if it
> means
> the temperature beyond which the device will cease to operate.  But
> the
> same "property" may actually be stating a "rule" that is applied to
> the
> device in a given usage, or a recommended rule of thumb for use of
> the
> device.  It doesn't mean that the device will cease to operate, it
> means
> the device is likely to exhibit undesirable behaviors/properties if
> it
> operates above that temperature.  This agrees with Bill's
> characterization as "part of the engineering envelope.  From MY
> ontological perspective, a rule is not a property; it is a rule.
> In the
> business rules jargon, we are distinguishing a 'necessity' (an
> invariant
> property) from an 'obligation' (an imposed constraint).
>
> Put another way:
>   Thou shalt not kill
> is a rule, even if it is stated as the indirect property:
>   Thou.maximum-allowable-murders = 0    (02)

MW: Intellectually I agree with you, just as I agree with Ingvar that
VIM has got dimensions wrong. However, it is engineering practice to
treat these things as properties, just as VIM treats dimensions the way
it does.    (03)

Regards    (04)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (05)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in
England and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (06)