Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: "'uom-ontology-std'" <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Partridge <partridgec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 17:41:34 +0100
John, et al.    (01)

What bothers me about one aspect of this discussion is that it seems to
bring to mind the Russell quote about the advantages of theft over honest
toil.    (02)

I do not see how one can draw up the logical axioms and so on, if one does
not know enough about what one is axiomatising.
If a team of people are doing this, then they need a common understanding of
sufficient accuracy.    (03)

I do not see how, for this understanding stage, saying that a term is going
to be a primitive helps. It seems to imply one does not need to understand
it - or maybe that everyone understands it unequivocally.
JS> The UoM *must* be compatible with every one of those plus a lot more.
This compatibility is a admirable goal, but I do not see how anyone is going
to reach it without a reasonable understanding of the domain.
Once one (or the team) have the understanding, then one can make these
decisions.    (04)

In my experience, from an engineering maturity perspective, conceptual
engineering / ontology is at a pre-Eli Whitney stage. We do not yet have the
tools to make artefacts sufficiently accurately so that they can be re-used
reasonably indiscriminately. Each time we try, we realise this inadequacy
and try to make them more accurate.    (05)

One can also take heart from Eli Whitney that one only needs a tool that can
produce something accurate enough for the task - he found a way of getting
the accuracy required without needing a micrometer.     (06)

So, if one views the discussions about mass and so on as attempts as
arriving at a common understanding, they are a healthy part of the process.
Some people may find using an upper ontology to help do this useful. I do.
Others may take a different view. I would guess what is important is to find
whatever means one can to arrive at the common understanding. Whether one
uses that in the axioms is an implementation decision.    (07)

Regards,
Chris Partridge
Chief Ontologist    (08)

Mobile:     +44 790 5167263
Phone:      +44 20 81331891
Fax:            +44 20 7855 0268
E-Mail:       partridgec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx     (09)

BORO Centre Limited
Website:                                     www.BOROCentre.com
Registered in England No:   04418581
Registered Office:                  25 Hart Street, Henley on Thames,
Oxfordshire RG9 2AR    (010)

This email message is intended for the named recipient(s) only. It may be
privileged and/or confidential. If you are not an intended named recipient
of this email then you should not copy it or use it for any purpose, nor
disclose its contents to any other person. You should contact BORO Centre
Limited as shown above so that we can take appropriate action at no cost to
yourself. All BORO Centre Limited outgoing E-mails are checked using Anti
Virus software.    (011)