Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Gunther Schadow <gschadow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 14:54:19 -0400
Is there some way we can converge on something?     (01)

Could we make a list of requirements described by examples
for each of the capabilities of the theory.     (02)

So, from my UCUM perspective, I would want to know, for
every operation what the result would be. It's like a list
of unit test cases that I would use to test my implementation.    (03)

1 = 1 : true or false?    (04)

1 N.m = 1 N.m : true or false?    (05)

1 m = 100 cm : true or false?    (06)

1 L/L = 1 kg/kg : true or false?    (07)

1 m = 1.00 m : true or false?    (08)

1.0 m = 1.001 m : true or false?    (09)

0 m = 0 kg : true or false?    (010)

We would make a table of these statements, and add any sort
of detail to them that we want to exemplify cases in which
the equivalence (or any other) relation holds.    (011)

Then we can use that to come down to one list of requirements
and we only need to formulate the theory around those
requirements. We can also challenge the requirements right
then and there and argue why the relation should or should
not hold in that case.     (012)

I feel like unless we do this, any candidate theory that we
look at here can be shot down because it fails to distinguish
something that some (but not all) on this list would want to
distinguish. So, can we make a table? May be on the Wiki where
we can maintain a nice table of examples?    (013)

thanks,
-Gunther    (014)

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                  gschadow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Associate Professor           Indiana University School of Informatics

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this message and any files
transmitted with it may contain confidential and/or privileged
information and are intended solely for the use of the named
addressee(s). Additionally, the information contained herein may have
been disclosed to you from medical records with confidentiality
protected by federal and state laws. Federal regulations and State
laws prohibit you from making further disclosure of such information
without the specific written consent of the person to whom the
information pertains or as otherwise permitted by such regulations. A
general authorization for the release of medical or other information
is not sufficient for this purpose. If you have received this message
in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete the
original message. Any retention, disclosure, copying, distribution or
use of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is
strictly prohibited.    (017)