Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: "uom-ontology-std" <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "ingvar_johansson" <ingvar.johansson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 10:36:14 +0200 (CEST)
A bit below comes a question from an informatics layman.    (01)

Gunther Schadow wrote:    (02)

> ingvar_johansson wrote:
>> one more comment. You asked:
>>
>>> 1 N.m = 1 N.m : true or false?
>>
>> and I said 'true' (and so did Pat H). But this does not imply that 1 N.m
>> of energy = 1 N.m of moment of force, since energy and moment of force
>> are
>> different kinds of quantities (despite having the same dimension).
>
> and that's precisely my point and why I disagree with Pat Hayes
> that this is not useful. I was asking if 1 N.m = 1 N.m and
> the answer is ambiguous. The unit is newton-meter, it is not
> newton-meter-of-energy, therefore, I would argue, that the unit
> is the same even if the kinds of quantity are different. Unless
> we agree on this (by either one of us changing our mind) I don't
> see a value at looking at ontological constructs.
>
> I don't want to discuss the N.m issue in particular at this
> time, only that it's pointless to proceed if there is
> disagreement about this matter.
>
> The question remains what we believe jointly that UoM concepts
> should do for us. You may want them to preserve the difference
> between torque and energy, I don't.    (03)

Can't you both cancel and preserve the difference? That is, can't you have
both an over-arching concept 'nominal newton-meter' and a number of
subsumed concepts such as 'energy newton-meter' and 'torque newton-meter';
each of which brings in what VIM calls a kind-of-quantity?    (04)

Ingvar    (05)