Re: [uom-ontology-std] What is mass?

To: "uom-ontology-std" <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "ingvar_johansson" <ingvar.johansson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 11:02:55 +0200 (CEST)
Pat H wrote:
> Um... as I recall from the telecon presentation, UCUM treats angle as
> a physical dimension, so this entire debate is beside the point. There
> is a *unit* distinction between angle and count; angle is not
> dimensionless in UCUM. Very sensible move.    (01)

I agree, too, which means that I think that the SI system ought to be
changed. In the BIPM journal Metrologia this view (that plane angle and
solid angle are specific dimensions) has forcefully been defended by
Walter H Emerson; see in particular his 2002 paper "A reply to
'Definitions of the units radian, neper, bel and decibel' by I M Mills et
al.", Metrologia 39 105-9.    (02)

Ingvar J    (03)