Re: [uom-ontology-std] FW: Quantity kinds

To: edbark@xxxxxxxx, uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 09:45:03 -0400
Ed and Hajo,    (01)

The VIM document is available at    (02)

    http://www.bipm.org/utils/common/documents/jcgm/JCGM_200_2008.pdf    (03)

EB> VIM is the International Vocabulary for Measurement, a publication
 > of BIPM -- the people who maintain the international standards for
 > units of measure.  http://www.bipm.org/en/publications/guides/vim.html    (04)

My only recommendation is to strengthen the following point:    (05)

EB> It seemed like adopting their vocabulary would be good, and we
 > have tried to stay close to that.    (06)

I would say we *must* stay *identical* to VIM as far as possible.    (07)

That document is an international standard developed by professionals
in the field who have collaborated with experts in all the R & D
groups who use measures of any kind.    (08)

Furthermore, it has undergone years of revisions based on feedback
from experts around the world.  They have very good reasons for
every term and definition in that document.    (09)

And finally, if we develop a UoM ontology that differs from that
document in any way, then our UoM is the one that is *wrong* --
because all the users take that document as the Bible, not ours.    (010)

Of course, nobody is perfect, not even the VIM authors.  But if
we differ from them in any way, we have to be absolutely certain
of our justifications, and we must report our changes to the
committee that is responsible for the next version of VIM.    (011)

And by the way, I strongly recommend Annex A (page 68), which
presents 12 "concept diagrams", which we should adopt as the
guides for our ontology.  If we find any discrepancy between those
diagrams, the text of the document, and the requirements for a
precise mapping to logic, we must report them to the VIM committee.    (012)