Re: [uom-ontology-std] FW: Quantity kinds

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 17:42:19 -0400
Hajo,    (01)

you wrote:
> Dear Ed,
>
> I have to admit, it is confusing. First of all, I do not think that a unit of
>measure is a quantity. I know that unit of measures are ultimately defined in
>terms of quantities, but, to my understanding or perception, that is not the
>same as that a unit of measure would be a quantity.

I misspoke.  In David's model, a 'measurement unit' is a kind of
'quantity magnitude'.  A 'quantity magnitude' is an equivalence class of
particular quantities which would all compare as "equal" (assuming some
notion of uncertainty).  So the length of a given table is a particular
quantity, and "1.5metres" is a name for the equivalence class (the
magnitude) to which it belongs.  And "metre" is itself defined as the
magnitude (the equivalence class) of a particular reference quantity,
which is some wavelength.  "1.5 metres" is a 'quantity value', which is
an expression of a magnitude as a ratio to a 'measurement unit' (at
least in this case), but the same magnitude can have other
names/expressions using other units.    (02)

(This terminology assumes that 'quantity' is a synonym for 'particular
quantity'.)    (03)

> Second, I would like to learn more about the term "kind" as it is used in
>VIM. Probably, then I will get to understand the use of the term better.
>Again, if someone could send me a link, I would be very grateful.

The VIM is a publication of the BIPM, available at:
http://www.bipm.org/en/publications/guides/vim.html    (04)

The important thing here is that VIM does not use 'kind of quantity' to
mean "classifier that 'is a kind of' quantity".  It means such a
classifier with the restriction that all of the particular quantities
that satisfy it are comparable.  A class of quantities that includes
both heights and weights, for example, is not a 'kind of quantity', even
though all of its instances are particular quantities.    (05)

-Ed    (06)

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                FAX: +1 301-975-4694    (07)

 and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (08)