Re: [uom-ontology-std] UoM ontology standard - a proposed program of wor

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Evan Wallace <ewallace@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:33:07 -0400
Bill Burkett wrote:
> And TopQuadrant has recently made available a free version of the TopBraid
>Composer Tool - see:
>
>       http://www.topquadrant.com/products/TB_free_install.php
>
> I haven't used it yet so I don't know what built-in limits it has.
>
> Another useful tool is Altova's SemanticWorks.  I did some experimentation of
>saving OWL files created with Protégé, reading them into SemanticWorks, saving
>without making any changes, re-opening in Protégé.  The round-trips produced
>syntactically different OWL files, so needless to say each tool has it's own
>flavor of saving the OWL files.
>       (01)

There is no "canonical form" for serializing an OWL model in rdf/xml.
Furthermore, there are multiple, semantically equivalent
ways of saying things with the OWL vocabulary itself.  Finally, the
contents of an OWL model is not considered ordered.  It's thus not
surprising that round tripping between tools changes the exchange form
of a model.  This can even happen when re-loading an OWL
ontology into the tool that produced it.   Do people anticipate changes
in the serialized form to be a problem?     (02)

-Evan    (03)