Re: [oor-forum] Common Logic and the BioPortal Triple Store

To: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 19:41:47 -0400
On 7/26/2010 10:53 AM, Peter Yim wrote:
> I am writing in the hope that we don't start a "flame war" because of
> your remark below.    (01)

I apologize.  I am at a conference where I only have spotty access to
my email, and I'm sorry for responding before calming down.    (02)

I concur with Pat's comments.  But more generally, the point I want
to make is that the *only* requirement is that every resource in the
Bioportal must have a globally unique identifier.    (03)

Whether those identifiers are linked by RDF or by some other method
is purely an implementation issue, and the tools are evolving so
rapidly that any choice that is edicted today is likely to be
inadequate tomorrow.  For example, note the trend to RDFa, which
would be excluded by a requirement for RDF.    (04)

And for biomedical information, please note that security is essential
for medical data.  The only widely used commercial software for secure
storage of anything is RDBMS (whose commercial development was funded
by the CIA and which have been adopted by every group that requires
security).    (05)

I realize that the ontologies do not have those security requirements,
but if they are going to be used for medical data, they must be used
in conjunction with RDBs.    (06)