Re: [oor-forum] Common Logic and the BioPortal Triple Store

To: OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 17:15:48 -0700
Cameron,    (01)

> [CR]  Has it been decided that OOR will start from a fork of BioPortal?    (02)

[ppy]  As I see it ...    (03)

Some of the current development efforts (e.g. BBN's federation,
Bremen's ORATE, NEU's KEEPER and UCDO, MBARI's MMI) have certainly
along those line. If these efforts start contributing to the
<oor.semwebcentral.org> repository, then the answer would be "Yes" ...
not because of any top down decision, but rather because the "fork"
actually materializes.    (04)

That said, none of the above efforts are CL (or FOL) based. Hopefully
the upcoming "SIO: OOR and CL" meeting
(http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OOR/ConferenceCall_2010_07_23#nid2FTP
) could throw more light into the matter.    (05)

More importantly, the OOR initiative, and hence, it's community
development effort is not even supposed to be monolithic.    (06)

Have we tied down the architecture to a level of detail that all
contributing efforts know exactly how they are "plugging in"?
The answer is "No!" ... and hence we need coordinating meeting (like
the one we're discussing -
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OOR/ConferenceCall_2010_07_23#nid2FGZ

Regards.  =ppy