Re: [ontology-summit] Are there primitive concepts? (Was ontology driven

To: "'Ontology Summit 2014 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 23:46:54 -0500
John,
  Just to try to clarify my views on the issues you consider problematic:    (01)

[PC] >>  For any *given set* of
 >> ontologies there will indeed be some foundation ontology that includes
 >> all of the primitive elements that can specify all of the concepts in
 >> those ontologies.
 >
 >That can only be true if there is a bottom (foundation) where the analysis
of
 >meaning ends. [JS]     (02)

   I think we can agree that there will be newly discovered aspects of
reality that change our perceptions of what now seem to be primitive
concepts.  So the inventory of "primitives" may change over time.  At any
given time, for any given set of applications, however, I do expect that we
can identify basic concepts whose meanings cannot be specified (adequately
for applications) using other concepts - the ones I think of as "primitive".
These will suffice to describe all of the concepts in the finite set of
communicating applications, sufficient to serve the purpose of those
applications, and the purpose of accurate communication between those
applications.      (03)

   My view of "primitives" is purely functional, those concept and
ontological entities that we can't fully describe with other more basic
concepts or ontology elements (at any given time for any given set of
applications).   I am intrigued but not particularly concerned with their
philosophical status, which may never be resolved.  But to approach human
levels of understanding in the computer, the issue of "grounding" is
important.  At present, most of the grounding is based on the understanding
by users of the meanings of the ontology elements, for which I try to
include adequate documentation so that all users will be able to use those
elements in the same sense.  More automated grounding less dependent on
people will require sensor and effector functions linked to the ontology,
which is not likely to be accomplished in the immediate future.    (04)

Perhaps you would prefer to call these ontology elements as "relatively
primitive" or "functionally primitive"  (relative to their current uses).    (05)

[JS] >  >No.  Human languages are the *best choice* for practical purposes.
    I was discussing communication between computers.  Whether that will
ever be more accurate than human-human communication is not predictable from
current practice, where humans definitely have the advantage.  I expect
computers will be better than people eventually because they can examine
everything inside the "mind" of the other parties, which humans can't do.
But I cannot prove that by logical argument.  I actually expect to live long
enough to see it, though.    (06)

Pat    (07)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA Inc.