Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology driven Data Integration using owl:equival

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2014 14:30:43 -0500
On 2/8/14 10:13 PM, Ron Wheeler wrote:
On 08/02/2014 6:26 PM, Patrick Cassidy wrote:

Kingsley, just a reply to one point:

[PC]  >>  If one only wants to create equivalencies and use that to perform probabilistic or pattern-matching reasoning,

>> that may lead to useful results that can be helpful for the humans who evaluate the results.

>>  But don’t expect the kind of accuracy that would be needed to allow the computers

>> to make mission-critical decisions without human intervention.

[KI] > Computers cannot be left alone to mission-critical decisions for humans. What they can

> do is perform a lot of the grunt work that makes humans beings make better decisions, more productively.

It is believed that medical errors kill over 400,000 people a year in the US. (http://www.fiercehealthcare.com/story/hospital-medical-errors-third-leading-cause-death-dispute-to-err-is-human-report/2013-09-20)
What will be the acceptable loss rates for computers making mission-critical decisions?
It appears that highly trained professionals have a very high rate of error.

You look for balance which can be determined from data, following conclusive analysis by human subject matter experts.

Car accidents cost over 34,000 deaths in 2012. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_U.S._by_year)
What will be an acceptable rate when computers control the cars?
We are already starting to build cars that talk to each other and make decisions about the level of danger in a situation before the driver is aware of it.

See comment above.

It's about balance. Humans do what humans do well and Machines do what machines do well.

Ron

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen