Re: [ontology-summit] First Model Bench Challenge

To: Ontology Summit 2012 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "simf-rfp@xxxxxxx" <simf-rfp@xxxxxxx>, "simfteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <simfteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Aldo Gangemi <aldo.gangemi@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 18:05:33 +0200
This is a case of "systematic polysemy", widespread in natural languages: two or more related conceptualizations, often interdependent, expressed by the same word. The state-event polysemy is a very frequent one.

Whether we want to model a Marriage concept as a state or an event however depends on what we want to do with it. E.g. if you're counting the marriages in a city for a time interval, you should model it as an event. If you want to be able to talk about the average length of marriages in a city for a time interval, you're going to model it as a state. If you want to do both, you need to design axioms to relate the two models. That's it.

The main reason for so many discussions on Ontolog (and its predecessor mailing lists) is that formal ontology often prefers a "unique" use case over the ones that are relevant for the "real world". That unique use case could be phrased as: "how many types of things are there, in principle?"

While this use case is important as an intellectual motivation, it tends to "change the game" we want to play by making ontologies. Instead of focusing on *why* someone asks to model marriages, one starts thinking about all possible senses, so being often lost in an unsustainable endeavor of making people agree on something that people hardly have to agree upon in everyday life. In other terms, we create a problem that did not exist before.

The problem of course is the need to choose, not the fact that there is a difference between states and events.

--Aldo