Re: [ontology-summit] INCOSE Ontology Action Group, onto SysML/UML

To: henson graves <henson.graves@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: chris.paredis@xxxxxxxxxx, Ron_C_Williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 'Chris Partridge' <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, 'Ontology Summit 2012 discussion' <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Bock, Conrad'" <conrad.bock@xxxxxxxx>, 'Matthew West' <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, 'Victor Agroskin' <vic5784@xxxxxxxxx>
From: David Price <dprice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 10:55:26 +0000
On 02/03/12 01:41, henson graves wrote:
> MW: Its foundations are in EXPRESS (strictly a subset of EXPRESS) from which
> it gets its logic based semantics.
>
> HG: This puzzles me a lot and even frightens me. I am unaware that EXPRESS
> has a logic based semantics. What is it? By logic-based semantics I mean
> FOL, DL, type theory, HOL, or something with a real inferfence system and a
> model theory. I am using model theory in the logician's sense. And I would
> hope that the logic system has the requisite soundness and completeness
> results.    (01)

Actually, ISO 15926 does not get it's logic based semantics from the
EXPRESS language itself. ISO 15926 EXPRESS schema and text defines a
modeling language (e.g. Class, PossibleIndividual, Specialization,
partOf, classification, etc. and EXPRESS knows nothing of these). The
important question is whether the ISO 15926 language has a logic based
semantics or not. A better way to think of it is that EXPRESS is just
the exchange format for models written using the ISO 15926 language so
it plays a role more like XML wrt ISO 15926 or think of it as the
meta-model language like MOF in the definition of UML.    (02)

Cheers,
David    (03)

--
Managing Director and Consultant
TopQuadrant Limited. Registered in England No. 05614307