Re: [ontology-summit] INCOSE Ontology Action Group, onto SysML/UML

To: "'henson graves'" <henson.graves@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Anatoly Levenchuk'" <ailev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Bock, Conrad'" <conrad.bock@xxxxxxxx>, <chris.paredis@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'David Price'" <dprice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Fredrick A Steiner'" <fsteiner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Victor Agroskin'" <vic5784@xxxxxxxxx>, <Ron_C_Williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'David Leal'" <david.leal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Ontology Summit 2012 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: 'Chris Partridge' <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 22:33:44 -0000
Dear Henson,    (01)

There are a few things that you seem to have misunderstood about ISO 15926.    (02)

<snip>

> Language and Notation: As I am sure that you would agree language details
> matter a great deal in establishing the necessary conditions for a
language to
> be successful, but they are not sufficient.  I believe that you noted that
> your proposed candidate ISO 15926 did not have a good notation.  There are
> deep reasons that have to do with foundations of mathematics and ontology
why
> UML is successful where its predecessors where not. Its superiority over
its
> successors has been validated empirically by its success in building large
> systems. This is not to say that it doesn't need improvement. It is to say
> that one wants to build on its success, which of course means you have to
> understand why it is successful.    (03)

MW: ISO 15926 Part 2 is written in EXPRESS, a data modelling language of
roughly the same capabilities as the UML static modelling language. As you
say, you have to start somewhere. But what we effectively did, was to build
a new language with it. The key thing you cannot do with UML or any data
modelling language is go through multiple levels of abstraction (instance
of) within a single model space. We needed to do that in ISO 15926, and the
result is very powerful.    (04)

MW: In fact we have created a graphical notation around this, which has been
very useful for working out details, but is a bit like assembler, you need
quite a lot to do something simple.

> Formal Semantics: You say Formal semantic for such a language is
prerequisite,
> but there are many languages with formal semantics. Which to choose?
Which
> one do you choose and why? The choice of language is a serious business,
not
> an academic one. There are perfectly good languages with formal (logical)
> semantics that have been around for a long time that conceivably have
> sufficient expressivity for engineering applications. Yet they are not in
> common use in engineering. One might ask why. The reason is an
"engineering
> problem".
> Integration of Ontology with modeling languages:  You note that Conrad
Bock at
> al. had papers where they argue for more substantial integration of
ontology
> into product modeling languages and suggest an approach which is to
capture
> patterns such as "Product Model" or "System" as meta-classes at the
> M2 Level in the MOF architecture.  This makes good sense to me and I agree
> with this viewpoint. However, this view is perfectly consistent with the
> building on UML argument. One still needs a language which is or is
embedded
> as the language of a logic. The meta-classes which describe the
ontological
> patterns such as Product Model are simply specializations of the
meta-class
> for model at the M2 level.    (05)

MW: The result for ISO 15926 is that there is no separation into these
levels, but we did include the ontological commitments at this stage.    (06)

MW: Strictly, I think it is better to have a language layer that is
ontologically neutral, and then a layer that is your ontological
commitments, and then a layer that is your domain model(s) but they do not
have to be in different meta spaces.

> Ontological Commitment:
<snip>
>  As noted UML's
> ontological commitment is weak, this is a good thing for getting things
right
> in the future.    (07)

MW: Yes. Your base language should have as few ontological commitments as
possible. The commitment that UML makes is the separation between classes
and instances, and that is unfortunate in my view.    (08)

<snip>     (09)

> Your Proposed Solution: You propose JSO 15926 as a candidate. Can you
explain
> what its formal logic-based semantics is and its ontology commitments are,
and
> what kind of usage and tool support it has, what submarines and nuclear
> reactors have been built with it? Is it sufficient to build autopoietic
> systems?    (010)

MW: Its foundations are in EXPRESS (strictly a subset of EXPRESS) from which
it gets its logic based semantics.
The ontological commitments are the standard 4D ones with an extensional
basis for identity of individuals and classes, together with possible worlds
to deal with semantics. For example, it contains all you need to model the
pump example we have been discussing.
There are only limited tools to support its use, but I would not expect many
- it is not after all like UML.
It is not in use in the defence industry so I would not expect submarines to
be built with it, but offshore oil rigs and undersea installations have used
it, and the main CAD systems used in the process industry claim to support
it. The nuclear industry is considering it.
It certainly won't build autopoietic systems for you, so it is certainly not
sufficient, however, it contains nothing that would prevent you from using
it to build them either.    (011)

Regards    (012)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 1489 880185
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
Skype: dr.matthew.west
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (013)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (014)

> Regards,
> Henson
Price';

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_in_the_large_and_programming_in_the
> _small. There are different language patterns in these different kinds of
> programming-in-the-*. I regard programming, modeling and ontologizing as
> different facets of one discipline. Architectural modeling (with languages
> like SysML or ArchiMate) is simply subdiscipline of this general
discipline.
> As a systems engineer I need language for arhcitecturing that support
> modeling-in-the-large, where I every day assemble architectural work of
many
> people. Formal semantic for such a language is prerequisite, but there are
> many languages with formal semantics. Which to choose?
>
> Most detailed answer I found in a book of Chris Partridge "Business
Objects:

http://www.borosolutions.co.uk/research/content/files/books/BusObj-Printed-2
> 0050531-with-watermark.pdf/at_download/file (while this book has no
references
> to UML or ISO 15926 or any other language or software or standard). To
have
> scalable for eco-system architecture (or any other) description I need
abandon
> substance paradigm (that is very intuitive!) to logic paradigm (that is
not
> intuitive at all, this is counterintuitive). In another word I need
> architectural description not in objects-with-attribute (object-oriented,
like
> UML/SysML) languages but in objects-with-relations (fact-oriented, like
> ArchiMate or ISO 15926) languages.
>
> We have difficulties when tried to introduce ISO 15926 in Russia: nobody
> understand why they need something new in this Big Systems game (namely
> Nuclear Power Plants and Shipbuilding industries). Now we start our "crash
> course" of PLM integration with introducing of "Business Objects:
> Re-Engineering for Re-Use". After this our clients knows names of
integration
> (in-the-large) problems they have and knows what can be solutions (logic
> paradigm, not formal semantics for substance paradigm) to their problems.
Then