Re: [ontology-summit] [BigSystems]different stakeholders different needs

To: Ontology Summit 2012 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Paul Tyson <phtyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 15:14:19 -0600
On Sun, 2012-02-19 at 08:36 -0800, joseph simpson wrote:
> In this sense a system integrator is a highly specialized role that
> facilitates the realization of the customer system given a set of
> objectives, requirements, components, suppliers and other resources.    (01)

But what special information needs or habits do system integrators have
that differ significantly from the other stakeholder groups I mentioned?    (02)

My point in this thread is not to exhaustively classify stakeholders of
big systems. I mainly want to set up discussion about whether there
really is, can be, or should be "one ontology to rule them all" when it
comes to any particular big system (or big systems in general). This
assumption appears in many guises: "product lifecycle management",
"enterprise information bus", "master data management", "single source
of truth" to name a few. It is a research opportunity to determine
whether suboptimizing each stakeholder's cognitive work patterns by
imposing a universal ontology actually improves overall enterprise
performance. (I say "suboptimize" because theory and anecdotal evidence
indicates this to be so, but that itself should be proved.)    (03)

Regards,
--Paul    (04)