[ontology-summit] systems/services integration, federation, interoperabi

To: <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Anatoly Levenchuk" <ailev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 01:08:09 +0400

Cross-Track-A2 “Ontology for Federation and Integration of Systems” will be 1st of March 2012 -- http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2012_03_01.

I am co-chair of this track with Cory Casanave.

Problem, Mission and intended outputs of this track are on the Community Inputs page -- http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2012_SystemsFederationIntegration_CommunityInput. Feel free to enter your input.

Below are my questions for this track.

System Integration, Federation, Interoperability: too many terms with not clear meaning. Different communities of practice use different words and there are difficulties in understanding. Definition of system is not clear, definition of system of systems (federated system?) is not clear twice. Systems engineering have "system integration" process that provides assembling of ready to operate system from pre-implemented parts/modules. What kind process and what system (or system of systems) life cycle we address when speaks about systems/services integration, federation, interoperability?

Service-oriented approach suggests pay most of attention not to systems but to services. Should we speak about service integration, federation, interoperability? How integrate, federate and provide interoperability of processes (e.g. workflow traversal through several BPM engines, adaptive case management systems, complex event processors)?

What can be terminology, taxonomy, ontology of systems federation, integration, and interoperability? How this ontology can help to build and assess architectures and frameworks for system/services integration, federation, and interoperability? How we can express integration, federation, interoperability architectural patterns (like "bus" or "plug-ins") in such ontology?

There are ontology frameworks that specifically address integration, federation and interoperability on industry-wide scale (e.g. ISO 15926 that intended to system life cycle data integration). What special properties should have ontologies that serve integration, federation, interoperability purposes in comparison with other kinds of ontologies?

What languages we need for integration, federation, interoperability?

What lessons we learned in integration, federation and interoperability projects that tried to use ontology-based methodology for achieve its goals?

What is the roadmap for answering all this endless questions?    What can we do within Cross-Track-A2?

Best regards,

Anatoly Levenchuk