Re: [ontology-summit] System Components

To: "Ontology Summit 2012 discussion" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jack Ring" <jring7@xxxxxxxxx>
From: "Christopher Spottiswoode" <cms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 15:24:17 +0200
Jack, sorry to be dredging this post up from as long as 4 days ago.
(Some more recent ones from you are also still outstanding, but I'll get
to them, I hope.)    (01)

And now to add to the discourtesy, this reply is merely a further
partial holding operation on your questions.  As regrettably still so
often the case, I must ask for more patience until I get the fuller
story up on the wiki.    (02)

But I do believe it will be worth the wait!    (03)

Briefly for now:    (04)

The architecture I spoke of below is that underlying the proposed
"Ontology Chemistry" ecosystem, for which see the provisional and very
incomplete wiki page at
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ChristopherSpottiswoode/OntologyChemistry_WorkingDraft.
I usually call the architecture itself "The Mainstream Architecture for
Common Knowledge".    (05)

As I said below, I believe it takes full account of the issues that "4D"
of the usual "3D/4D" distinction addresses.  That includes, for example,
the requirements you ask about, namely wear and failure.  So let's see
if I have understood the implications of your question.    (06)

Wear rate is not merely a passive predicate, it can as such also be a
parameter in a simulation, and the AOS (or envisaged Application
Operating System as introduced at the link above) as general-purpose
agent can be configured into whatever hypothetical (or "possible world")
finite and possibly distributed configuration of agent instances with
initial conditions you wish (including alternative behaviours) and the
passage of time simulated, with optional user involvement, whether
actual or simulated.  User capabilities can likewise be real or
simulated.  Plugging in a measurement and logging function, including of
the relevant metadata, is merely another manifestation of standard
plug-and-play application composition.  Given the internal database
(which I've already partially coded) and its fully ontologized
framework, with reflective and dynamic self-optimzation, that is easier
and potentially much more efficient than in conventional environments.    (07)

A failure event can likewise be caught (in a live environment), or
hypothetically simulated, by the AOS as the event-driven agent that it
is.    (08)

What in your picture might I not have understood?  Of course, please
don't ask yet to see it actually running!  It might however help at this
stage to point out also that the above is pretty much unthinkable (at
least by me...) without the built-in provision for actual behaviour (or
real semantics) specification in this ontologized environment, and that
that ontological basis is also the "secret" (still, but soon no longer
to be) of that vaunted plug-and-play feature.    (09)

Note also that many systems cannot be simulated as described above as
fully real hypothetical worlds because they are too abstracted already.
Accounting systems, for example, already have a very abstracted notion
of real time, with time often missing or too highly granular for
realtime simulation.    (010)

Many thanks for putting such questions, though, and please feel free to
ask more or add your proper nuances. (Though perhaps better wait until I
have got the fuller picture on the wiki.)    (011)

Christopher    (012)