Re: [ontology-summit] [ontology-summit-org] [Big Systems and SE] summit

To: "'Jack Ring'" <jring7@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: 'Ontology Summit 2012 discussion' <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 07:58:08 -0000
Dear Jack,    (01)

> The main issue that arose from the material I presented was the claim
> that ontology is not equivalent to algorithm.     (02)

MW: That is already interesting. I think Anatoly was saying the opposite,
that algorithms and ontology were closely intertwined. Could you elaborate
on what you mean? Equivalent leaves almost identical, but not quite as an
option. How different do you see them and in what way?    (03)

> The systems engineering
> practice needs a semiotic transformer among the variegated
> participants.
> One example is the the stuff that Top Quadrant is
> building with NASA.      (04)

MW: I'm not familiar with this. Could you elaborate?    (05)

> If ontology is inappropriate then are you
> interested only in the needs of systemists that can be satisfied by
> complicated taxonomies?    (06)

MW: I must admit, that although I keep hearing talk about ontology in
engineering, what I see happening is standard terminologies/taxonomies and
mathematical models. Whether these count as ontologies depends largely on
how tightly you define ontology. Some would say that if it is not using some
sort of logic based reasoning then it is not ontology, others would say that
if it is about the nature of things then it is about ontology. I tend to be
in the latter camp.    (07)

MW: For me it would be particularly interesting to find needs of systemists
that do indeed need more than terminologies/taxonomies.    (08)

Regards    (09)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 1489 880185
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
Skype: dr.matthew.west
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (010)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (011)