Re: [ontology-summit] Large-scale engineered systems vs. large-scale soc

To: "'Ontology Summit 2011 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 23:16:56 -0000
Dear Ken,
It depends what you mean by engineered. Some have chosen a narrow
definition, even though I have explained that the intent is broad (and I
clam Alice in Wonderland rights) and would include social engineering as
well as electromechanical engineering within it.    (01)

Regards    (02)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 1489 880185
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
Skype: dr.matthew.west
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (03)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (04)

large-scale
> sociotechnical systems
>
> I am unfortunately in the midst of a review and will miss today's call but
> wanted to mention the concept of a SOA (Service Oriented Architecture)
> ecosystem being introduced in the OASIS SOA Reference Architecture
Foundation.
http://docs.oasis-open.org/soa-rm/soa-
> ra/v1.0/csprd02/soa-ra-v1.0-csprd02.pd
> f and we are currently adjudicating review comments.  Those working on
this
> specification found that merely looking at the engineered aspects was
> insufficient because interactions are necessary across organizational
> boundaries and issues such as trust and establishing willingness to
interact
> are paramount.  Clear semantics in a distributed environment are obviously
> first order concern.
>
> Ken

> Dr. Kenneth Laskey
> MITRE Corporation, M/S H305              phone: 703-983-7934
> 7515 Colshire Drive                                    fax:
> 703-983-1379
> McLean VA 22102-7508

Guarino
> Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:23 PM
> To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion
> Subject: [ontology-summit] Large-scale engineered systems vs. large-scale
> sociotechnical systems
>
> Folks,
>
>       the term "engineered systems" coming from the initial discussions
was
> indeed intended to convey an explicit focus on systems designed for a
purpose,
> resulting from an an engineering process, as Matthew clarifies below. This
> track was born in parallel with track 1, which is its natural complement,
> focusing on the engineering process.
>
>       Of course, there are other kinds of big, complex systems which (as a
> whole) are not engineered, while they may contain or not some (relevant)
parts