Re: [ontology-summit] Large-scale engineered systems vs. large-scale soc

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ali SH <asaegyn+out@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 15:11:18 -0500
On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Jack Ring <jring7@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Regarding your "To suggest that humans and their technologies play a role in effecting and altering "natural" systems is not to say it with arrogance." may be true. My point is that the very act of assigning the label, system, to natural phenomenon is arrogant ---- until we have an ontology of system.

Ah ok, agreed.

Systems theory as applied to the environment, species and ecologies (itself a carrying an implicit systematization of the phenomena) has come under serious critique, and this is why I'd linked to Wicked Problems (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicked_problem) earlier.