Re: [ontology-summit] [Ontology Application Framework] Revised Strawman

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 08:17:29 -0500
On 3/7/2011 6:36 AM, Anders Tell wrote:
> It is not clear that IT people are the best people to steer and
> guide "business" people in their work, id rather prefer that the
> business people learn the value of using ontologies in their work.    (01)

I agree.  But I'd like to point out that it's much easier to show
them the value of good terminologies.    (02)

The chemists, for example, started to develop standardized ways
of naming chemical compounds over a century ago.  Their naming
system is actually based on a formal ontology for chemistry,
and it has a unique mapping to and from the compounds.    (03)

Every branch of engineering also developed systematic terminology
for their structures.  Some of the traditions go back to the
medieval cathedrals, the Renaissance palaces, and even the
Greek, Roman, and Egyptian temples.    (04)

Naval architects had systematic terminology for their sailing
ships and the rigging down to fine details.  The practices also
went back to ancient times -- both in Europe and in Asia.    (05)

The banking system and double-entry bookkeeping also began in the
Renaissance, and the system was so precise that the IT personnel
quickly mapped it to punched cards in the early 20th century
and then to computers as soon as they became available.    (06)

Every business larger than a mom & pop store has a catalog of
products, and the IT staff begins with the catalog in developing
their databases and software.    (07)

The primary obstacle to convincing business people to adopt ontology
should be obvious:  none of the software for processing ontology is
integrated with mainstream IT.    (08)

Don't blame businesses for the failures by the people who designed
the software for ontology.    (09)