Re: [ontology-summit] [Ontology Application Framework] Revised Strawman

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Anders Tell <opensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 14:43:27 +0100

On Mar 7, 2011, at 2:17 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:    (01)

> On 3/7/2011 6:36 AM, Anders Tell wrote:
>> It is not clear that IT people are the best people to steer and
>> guide "business" people in their work, id rather prefer that the
>> business people learn the value of using ontologies in their work.
>
> I agree.  But I'd like to point out that it's much easier to show
> them the value of good terminologies.    (02)

Yes, that is much easier and what many Non-IT, Non-Engineers do, trimming their
language(s).    (03)

> The primary obstacle to convincing business people to adopt ontology
> should be obvious:  none of the software for processing ontology is
> integrated with mainstream IT.    (04)

Tooling is a major problem yes, the primary one-im not so sure about.    (05)

> Don't blame businesses for the failures by the people who designed
> the software for ontology.    (06)

Nicely put, but I do blame us, the technologist, for complicating things that
could be of benefit for business people.
And I do blame business people for letting us getting away with it. Maybe its
"learned helplessness" in play.    (07)

/anders    (08)

On Mar 7, 2011, at 2:17 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:    (09)