Re: [ontology-summit] [Ontology Application Framework] Revised Strawman

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pavithra <pavithra_kenjige@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 14:46:17 -0800 (PST)
>The differences in the points of view and the questions addressed
>show why it is so difficult to get anybody to agree on a common
>ontology.  Even when they use the same terminology as a basis,
>they are going to have different ways of defining each term.
>That is why you need to think of a framework (or as I represent
>it, a lattice) -- not a single, fixed set of definitions.

Thank you for your notes.  That is a souvenir

I am not debating about Lattice approach.  However,  I believe not everything needs theoretical solutions.   Some can be resolved with practical approach and policies.

One of the approaches that is in practice  is to identify the key members and stake holders, subject matter expertise of the organizations and request their time and commitment to help with the Ontology development and set the expectations right with them before developing the Ontology or EA.  One can get consensus on terminologies and concepts and make policies to have  the rest of the organization follows it through.   But it is difficult to facilitate such an influence if an enterprise architect is treated as a subcontractor or technical member of the team to make  that change at the top level.  Enterprise Architects and CIOs have to have access to Planners and Owners of the organization and key member to take that route and develop common terminologies and models and use polices to influence the rest of the organization. In other words, CIO organization has to be bestowed with that kind of power to make it happen.   It is a matter of organization change management.

Organization hierarchy, middle management can be show stopper and can cause road blocks with this approach. If one is treated as just another technical member of the team, one may not be able to develop that level of communication to be effective.     Not many technology people have that kind of organization influence in another organization (unless they are Steve Jobs or John Sowa or  Ed Yourdon or someone or any one of you , the accredited scientists in this group. ).. , But effective EA teams have to establish such organization astuteness and power to CIO group  before they start the projects.

Regards,

Pavithra