Re: [ontology-summit] conceptual modeling

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: David Price <dprice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 12:09:13 +0000
I'm not quite sure why this group has such an aversion to adjectives.
This entire discussion is because 'design' is too broad a term - same
for the term 'model'. In Mfg, the term for creating a model of something
to build is typically called 'detailed design' where mechanical
engineers, for example, would build '3D CAD models'. However, 'fashion
design' is a completely different context where 'model' means a human
clothes rack and walking around with clothes is called 'modeling'.    (01)

So, in some industries/contexts 'designing' and 'modeling' are synonyms
but in others they are not - one might ask 'Why is that confusing?' and
the answer is obviously misunderstood context. So, unless you understand
the full context of the sentence 'conceptual modeling is a kind of
designing' you cannot really disagree (or even agree) ... and yet here
we are. If you simply look at a dictionary
(http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/design) you'll find that both
Jack's view and Azamat's view are acceptable uses of the term 'design' -
people are just talking past each other.    (02)

Cheers,
David    (03)

On 3/4/2011 7:51 AM, Matthew West wrote:
> Dear Jack,
>
> You said:
>
>> When you precis that, you get models. if models come from designing then
> how
>> does modeling differ from design?
> MW: Models can also be used for analysis, to try to understand how things
> are, rather than how you intend things to be. I would not call that design.
>
> Regards
>
> Matthew West
> Information  Junction
> Tel: +44 560 302 3685
> Mobile: +44 750 3385279
> Skype: dr.matthew.west
> matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
> http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/
>
> This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
> and Wales No. 6632177.
> Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
> Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.

TopQuadrant
US Phone +1 336-283-0606
UK Mobile +44 7788 561308    (06)