Re: [ontology-summit] [OAF] [Case studies]

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Rex Brooks <rexb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 10:49:23 -0800
I think Nicola's idea is understanding the context of a business domain, for instance an aerospace supplier or business area like aerospace supply, from Supply Chain to Industrial Product Design to Human Resources so conceptual modeling might, if I am characterizing his point correctly, also be thought about as context modeling, e.g. the context in which a problem, such as container sealant malfunction, occurs to which we want to provide a solution. If we understand the context ontologically, it will be quicker to isolate the factors involved from
  • raw latex supply during a given season that was drier than normal
    • resulting in a more concentrated raw product,
  • where climate, agriculture and geospatial factors are in play, to
  • transport, where container shipments were delayed by pirate activity off the Somali coast
    • where social factors are in play, to
  • negligent management during a necessary overtime shift in which
    • human resource factors come into play, to
  • inadequate product testing,
    • where overused equipment is operating out of its optimal temperature range, to
  • loss of pressurization in a container in a storage module in the International Space Station,
  • resulting in food spoilage
  • traced to container sealant malfunction.
This will be quicker because we should be able to quickly get results from a query on the factors involved in the use, manufacture and shipping of materials involved in container sealants. This is hypothetical. However, it illustrates another point: the interdependence of factors involved in any given business domain.