[ontology-summit] [Value Metrics] [OAF] Value Metrics Technologies and B

To: Todd J Schneider <todd.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, rexb <rexb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ontology Summit <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael F Uschold <uschold@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 19:39:51 -0800
Rex and Todd:

I just looked over the slides from the value metrics session that I missed.

I'm trying to see how this work dovetails with the ontology application framework (OAF).
I created a class in OAF called "Benefit" for things like: ReducedMaintenanceEffort, MoreReuse, AgilityFlexibility, etc.

I also want to track how and where these benefits arise, ultimately back to the ontology.  Benefits can lead to other benefits, and technologies/techniques/approaches  can lead to benefits.  My first stab at this is illustrated here: benefits and techniques network.  I created a link called "facilitates" that captuers the idea of one technology or benefit can lead to another benefit.  I only have included a few, there are many more.

It is also true that some things that are benefits from one perspective, are just techniques from another perspective. If you are a software engineer, MoreReuse may sound like a benefit. If you are a CEO, you don't care about reuse, unless it leads to reduces costs or more functionality in the products. So to the CEO, MoreReuse is a technique, not a benefit.

I also did not include value metrics, which as the presentations point out, are linked to benefits.  E.g. increased agility is a benefit. A metric might be:  system development time. For  example an ontology-based system was developed in 3 months, when from past experience, it was known that it would take at least 6 months to develop this using conventional approaches.
You might call the relationship between ValueMetrics and Benefits: measuresBenefit.

PROPOSAL to the Value Metrics Team:   If you feel so inclined, I think it would be a great contribution to the overall cause by continuing in this vein, adding further benefits and technologies, and linking them together, as well as adding value metrics and linking them to benefits.

Michael

--
Michael Uschold, PhD
   Senior Ontology Consultant, Semantic Arts