Re: [ontology-summit] Invitation to a brainstorming call for the 2011 On

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Leal <david.leal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 20:32:01 +0000
Dear All,    (01)

A terminology to do with accuracy, precision and uncertainty is
defined in the VIM (International Vocabulary of Metrology)
http://www.bipm.org/en/publications/guides/vim.html . The OASIS
QUOMOS work seems to have stalled, but the need for an ontology
covering this area remains.    (02)

Best regards,
David    (03)

At 12:41 23/01/2011, you wrote:
>The definition of "quality" is pretty simple "meets requirements"
>the issue is how to define requirements. ISO 22745-30 does a pretty good job.
>
>Data and Information are two different concepts, their
>characteristics are different. Timeliness and relevance
>are  characteristics of information, the data is what it is. Finally
>there is no such thing as accuracy only assertions of accuracy. A
>lot of this ground is covered in ISO 8000
>
>Peter
>Cell: +1 610 462 5923
>
>On Jan 22, 2011, at 9:18 AM, "Brian K Lucas" <lucasb@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Greetings all,
> >
> > I like this discussion, and have a few thoughts of my own (as you come to
> > know me more, you'll discover that to be the norm  ;=)
> >
> > A) @Jack : I agree that "adequate, accurate and timely" is a worthy goal.
> > I'd like to hear more about your definition of "adequate" and "accurate".
> >
> > B) @Jack : Regarding quality:  In my experience, "fitness for purpose" is
> > trinary, when taken from a single consumer's point of view: not fit, fit,
> > overly fit.  In the real world, however, very few offerings are consumed by
> > a single entity.  Therefore, I believe that, when taken in the context of
> > the offering, and including all consumers, fitness for purpose/quality is
> > indeed scalar, if the measurement is being taken from the
> perspective of the
> > producer.  If you complete a histogram/pie chart of these three values for
> > all consumers, you get three counts of valuable metrics, which
> should not be
> > combined: % fit for purpose, % not fit for purpose, and %overly fit for
> > purpose.  The requirements not met for the "not fit" group represent
> > offering "defects"; the requirements met for the "overly fit" group
> > represent waste of effort for that consumer group.  If requirements have
> > been implemented that NOBODY in the "fit" group needs, then that is wasted
> > producer effort - unless, of course, they serve a future consumer.  My
> > conclusion?  There is value in measuring "quality" across the existing and
> > intended user base, and improving the offering to move more consumers into
> > the "fit for purpose" count, without removing anyone who is already there.
> > And, because consumer requirements usually change over time, continuous
> > improvement of "quality" is desirable.  Then, add in that even for a single
> > consumer, they may present KANO-like ranking of requirements (must have,
> > should have, could have, etc.), and binary gets even a little
> more fuzzy for
> > me.
> >
> > C) Producer cost is also key here.  If the value exchange received by the
> > consumer does not support the cost to meet their requirements, then a "not
> > fit" offering may still be of value to the consumer, as they may augment it
> > with other offerings.  An example of this is Microsoft Word.  It does NOT
> > meet all of my requirements - and yet I find it "fit for purpose" because I
> [...]

David Leal
CAESAR Systems Limited
registered office: 29 Somertrees Avenue, Lee, London SE12 0BS
registered in England no. 2422371
tel:      +44 (0)20 8857 1095
mob:      +44 (0)77 0702 6926
e-mail:   david.leal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx