Re: [ontology-summit] Invitation to a brainstorming call for the 2011 On

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Tim Wilson <twilson92@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 08:10:57 -0500
Gentlemen,    (01)

If I may jump in here.  This discussion makes me think of the 85/15 rule
where finding and fixing 85% of all software bugs is relatively easy,
the last 15% is much more difficult in terms of time and effort.  There
comes a point where developers have to say that the ontology is 'good
enough'.  Jack is arguing that this does not constitute 'high quality'
and therefore the comment on quality being binary.  Some person or
persons must make a decision that the product is good enough (until the
next serious bug is uncovered).  You may think that there are no more
blue balls in the bin, but yet one is found.  Quality instantly goes
from "1" to "0" until the issue is analyzed and a choice is made to
either ignore it or fix it.    (02)

Tim Wilson    (03)

On 12/15/2010 3:22 AM, Matthew West wrote:
> Dear Jack,
>
>> MW,
>> Standing on the shoulders of Deming, Crosby, Juran, etc. I would first ask
> the
>> owner a) Is the fifth one guaranteed irrelevant
> MW: I am assuming it is relevant.
>
>> and b) what is your level of
>> confidence there are not 6 errors?
>> Jack
> MW: Indeed, but then by the same token how can you be certain anything is
> defect free, even if no defects are apparent?
>
> MW: I think it is more useful to think of quality as the degree to which
> requirements are met. Then when you fix some bugs you have improved the
> quality, though you may not have met all the requirements.
>
> Regards
>
> Matthew West
> Information  Junction
> Tel: +44 560 302 3685
> Mobile: +44 750 3385279
> matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
> http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/
>
> This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
> and Wales No. 6632177.
> Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
> Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.
>

>> On Dec 14, 2010, at 3:45 PM, Matthew West wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Jack,

> note
> Quality
>>> quality' is
>>> MW: So presumably you would argue that if an ontology has 5 defects, and
> 4
>>> of them are fixed, there is not improvement in quality as a result....
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Matthew West
>>> Information  Junction
>>> Tel: +44 560 302 3685
>>> Mobile: +44 750 3385279
>>> matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
>>> http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/
>>>
>>> This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in
> England
>>> and Wales No. 6632177.
>>> Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
>>> Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.

> not
> zero
> and
> and
>>> the
> members
>>> who
> of
>>> any
>>> for
> respect
> most
>>> OWL-
> more
> the

>>> importance
>>> high
>>> sensitivity
> people
>>> just
>>> theme
> [...]

Timothy C. Wilson
Graduate Student in Knowledge Management
Kent State University
Expected Completion: August 2011    (05)