Re: [ontology-summit] Invitation to a brainstorming call for the 2011 On

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 11:35:41 -0500
On 12/14/2010 10:27 AM, Aldo Gangemi wrote:
> Strange as you may think, ontology design is not yet "obvious" and
> quietly accepted when discussing semantic applications, let alone a
> vague "ontology" discipline    (01)

That's not strange at all.  Most programmers (including many computer
scientists) are not convinced that ontologies are useful, and even
many who think that they might be useful have no idea where to start.    (02)

As I said before, if you look at many OWL ontologies (including BFO),
you won't find anything that goes beyond Aristotle's syllogisms.    (03)