Re: [ontology-summit] Invitation to a brainstorming call for the 2011 On

To: 'Ontology Summit 2011 discussion' <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Wartik, Steven P \"Steve\"" <swartik@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 17:29:27 -0500
Ali,    (01)

I'm not suggesting that an ontology replace a DBMS. I'm saying that the
information model offered by (say) OWL can replace the relational database
model. The ontology's information model might be implemented using a DBMS, as
Oracle and other triple-store vendors have demonstrated.    (02)

The case to make is that the OWL model of information is more "natural" than
the relational model, so the application developer spends less time and effort
translating a business model to OWL than to SQL. (You could even argue that OWL
is a reasonable model for expressing many business information needs and
therefore requires no translation.) In my world at least, it'll always come
down to time and money. If I can't convince my sponsor that ontologies save
money, he'll lose interest.    (03)

Regards,    (04)

Steve Wartik    (05)